Saturday, November 22, 2008

New Forms


I am not a self loathing writer. Although I've dated my share. (My neurosis rear their head continuously in other ways). I'm too distant from it. A part of me admires that dedication, locking yourself in a room for days rewriting, perhaps someday the gap will close and I'll feel differently. So below, for all the writerboys who have driven me crazy.

THE WRITER (29. Theatre District Bar)

They get into your head all these voices.thinking they can write it better than you. ‘See it has to be more active, sound less like you, more like you. More spectacle, less spectacle. It needs an arch, but really can you cultivate that? I don’t know what’s wrong with it but in that last half there’s there’s just something missing.’ It needs it needs it needs. It needs a god damn audience. That’s what it needs. It needs someone to listen. Shut the hell up, digest it and then, then you can talk. ‘New forms new forms’ who the hell said that? We need new forms. Yeah well we fucking do, but every fucking generation has been searching for them. Like in ten years plays will be obselete. We will have cultivated a generation with an attention span too short to watch actual fucking human beings. Hell everything will be mediated we’ll fuck over the internet and send our semen through DHL. Wait. Like right now as I’m speaking am I active enough? Do I want something enough from you? Yeah? Yes I fucking do ! I want a drink my good man and you are going to get it for me. Because tonight, tonight I got torn a new literary asshole. Close up on my anus. You see, you see it’s torn. ‘Be more this be less that. More commercial, damn the man be less commercial. ‘I’m not going to categorize myself because I’m an artist’ fuck that shit. Fuck that ‘Franny and Zooey’ Sallinger bullshit shit. I’m not an artist. I’m a guy. Who writes. I’ll be an artist when I’m dead. Years from now if people are sitting in this bar talking about some words I wrote that got them off then then my friend I’ll be an artist. Just sucks I won’t be around to hear it.

No comments: